Thursday, June 22, 2023

Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 19: Nagbhid to Nagpur (103 kms)

✪ Third century of the expedition to finish off
✪ Wonderful reception in Nagpur
✪ School visit in Nagpur
✪ Interview at Deeksha Bhoomi
✪ Unbelievable support by the cycle
✪ Too dream-like to be real stuff!

Hello. Final and 18th day of the expedition, 11th October 2022. Had great interactions in Nagbhid and also had proper rest. Now, the final day of the expedition! But till the last kilometer is done, we cannot say anything in sports such as cycling. But from inside I know it will be the last day. Nothing troublesome happened to the cycle or the cyclist so far, so it will not happen today also, simply! For a change, the weather has become rainy again. Actually it is helpful for me. Otherwise October heat in Nagpur region is scorching.  Today I will cycle around 103 kms, that means I will have third century of this expedition. 






Started the ride early as usual. Feeling slightly bad also as this will complete today. Last few days have been too fast. While riding just recalling all glorious moments of this ride.. Sometimes I even find it difficult to remember from where I had started and how long I have come. How many wonderful interactions I had with the people, the children and also the organizations I met and those whom I will meet in Nagpur! They are super excited actually. Nagpur is like a distant home town for me as my grandfather was from Nagpur, my father had studied in Nagpur and many relatives stay there. Also I had golden childhood memories from Nagpur. So it will be a sort of homecoming too. The highway is fabulous. The cycle is giving excellent support to me. And the stages I had made- around 85 to 90 kms per day- were most appropriate to my fitness level. Hardly I get any fatigue. My basic process has been spot on. So practically nowhere I was tested and was greatly tired. Only sometimes there were some stiffness in legs, but gradually it would cease after I starting pedaling.

Took one break at around 30 kms. After riding initially towards south, then east, little north east, then north and little north- east, finally I am riding westwards. Till around half way distance, the weather is very hot. And I am seeing clouds in the distance. It is going to rain and great it started raining once I crossed Umred! I welcomed the rain! It saved me from much heat. Now the highway is also expanded to four lanes!  As this entire tour was in the fag end of the monsoon, I was prepared for the rain. Initial two days I also had rain. So there is nothing to worry or no need to stop. Nagpur is just 28 kms! I may reach early than expected. After my interactions in Brahmapuri and Nagbhid, those organizations had spread word about me in one school on the outskirts of Nagpur- Dighori. So I will also visit that school briefly. I also received one phone call from one reporter, who wanted to take my interview! I suggested Deekshabhoomi area for this interview. The reason behind this development was my friends in Nagpur. They are very much excited!

Reached Nagpur in rampant rains and met Shri. Bhoyar sir who took me to Amit Higher Secondary school, Dighori. There I had opportunity to meet teachers and some students. Short but nice meeting it was. I felt so good to be able to share something like this for the students and the school. Now the culmination of this tour- Deekshabhoomi! My eyes are becoming teary when I find my way across this city traffic- something which I had not seen after I left Hyderabad, long time ago! Traffic, signals, metro construction work! Somehow found my way towards Deekshabhoomi. Here Akshit ji, son of Mrs. Akanksha Deshpande, who is a special educator for special children, came to meet me. It was Mrs. Akanksha Deshpande’s work which had inspired me to take the cause of mental health awareness.  Mr. Sarfraz Khan from Times of India also came to meet and interview me at Deekshabhoomi.

I am feeling very emotional. Teary eyes. The one word that is coming to the mind is gratitude... The journey, the nature- pilgrimage and incredible India. Just feeling grateful and humbled to be able to do this. Sarfaraj ji interviewed me, also helped me to relax and feel comfortable. Felt really overwhelmed. Deekshabhoomi is the most appropriate place! Apart form a heritage site, it is also closer from Dharam Peth, where I will be staying and also a famous place. After the interview, Akshit ji just guided me towards Dharam Peth area. After riding across many roads and lanes, now it is the time to go into the memory lane! Just when I was not finding the house, my maternal uncle met me. Then I reached home of my uncle- Manish Welankar. They all welcomed me with zest and awe!



As I had forgot to resume the ride for the last part, 3 kms are missed in recording! :)
 

And the same thing continued for next 2-3 days. I kept on meeting people and friends. Also visited one group of students in the evening. My daughter- Adu also came to Nagpur the next day to receive me. As I did not need a single extra day, I reached Nagpur earlier than her. And the final tally of kilometers is around 1450 kilometers in 18 days. 103 kilometers for the last day! I had some days reserved, so I have some days to meet many people, organizations and groups in Nagpur. But more about it that in my next and final blog of this series! But the emotion in the mind at the moment is gratitude! Also it is too dream- like to be real.

Next: Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 20 (Final): Concluded with gratitude!  

(Thanks for reading! You can enjoy the photos on the blog link given above. You can also read about my experiences of trekking, cycling, running, meditation, sky watching etc. there. If you wish to get updates of such activities, you can contact me. Niranjan Welankar 09422108376)

1 comment:

आपने ब्लॉग पढा, इसके लिए बहुत धन्यवाद! अब इसे अपने तक ही सीमित मत रखिए! आपकी टिप्पणि मेरे लिए महत्त्वपूर्ण है!