Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 12: Janagaon- Warangal (54 kms)

✪ Ecstatic climate for riding!
✪ Awareness while riding
✪ Historic city of Warangal
✪ Completed 915 kms in 11 days
✪ Context of the erstwhile Hyderabad State
✪ Interactions with activists in Warangal
✪ Visit to Mallikamba Institute of Mentally Handicapped and associated Disabilities, Warangal
✪ Need for awareness about issues related to special children
✪ Clouds of uncertainty hover in mind

Hello all. 11th day of the expedition, 4th October 2022. Today’s ride will be relatively very short. Only 54 kms/-! It is the half distance of what I had ridden in Karnataka in a single day. Since last two days, I am halting little ahead than what I had thought, so today's distance is less. But it is actually good. I will have more time for interactions in Warangal. Also I need to check up my cycle. So today I can do these things! But first thing is to ride till Warangal! Left Janagaon after excellent rest. Today the sky has many clouds and it can rain any time. Also, clouds are hovering in my mind about coming stages of this expedition. After Warangal, I will be reaching remote forest- rich part situated on the border of Telangana and Maharashtra.

(All articles with photos can be read here:  My experiences about trekking, cycling, running, meditation and sky watching etc. can be read on my blog.)



Rode to the highway and then turned towards Warangal. What a wonderful climate this is to ride! Only one song gets recalled in the mind-

होशवालों को खबर क्या बेखुदी क्या चीज़ है

साईकिल चलाईए, फिर समझिए ज़िन्दगी क्या चीज़ है

What a wonderful weather! It is not raining, but the weather is so pleasant. What bliss to ride in this weather! The highway is passing through some villages. In one village, there is a church just near the highway. A statue of Jesus Christ! I bowed down before this symbol of awakened beings. Today’s ride is truly ecstatic. Just galloping that experience! Today just took one break at around 25 kms mark. Although the distance is less and the cycle is doing excellent work, I am keeping an eye on the cycle. Whenever I stop, I do check the air pressure. And after 4-5 days when it drops, I get it refilled. I am carrying a pump, but it cannot properly recharge my tyre. It is only useful at the time of emergency. Otherwise I take service of the garages on the highway. I do have one connector valve so that any garage or mechanic can pump this tyre. Also I am aware about sounds of the cycle. It is very necessary to have close friendship with this companion and to look after her.




Reached Warangal too quickly at just around 10 am! 54 kms for the day and 915 kms in 11 days. What a historic city it is, I did not know much! All signs of great heritage! Forts and royal scriptures! Went to the house of Shri. Sudheer ji. Being a senior citizen, he is himself an avid cyclist! It was great to meet such a person. During the day, had many interaction with him and his friends. He gave me many insights about this region, which was earlier known as Hyderabad Princely State, during the British times. My hometown Parbhani also belonged to Hyderabad State. He shared many insights about how people perceive these things. Some people say that Police Action (which was actually the army sent by Sardar Patel) “invaded” Hyderabad State and not liberated it!! I was shocked to know this. Even the “liberation day” is regarded as “invasion” day by some people and parties. Even the wikipedia page of the then Hyderabad State tells a much different version that what was known to me.

In the afternoon, I took my cycle for servicing. One cyclist from Warangal- Shri. Bandi Venu helped for this. He could not meet me, but guided me well. Nothing has happened to the cycle! No servicing was needed actually. Only some oiling and tightening some screws was sufficient! They also tightened my chain and told that now onwards it will not fall. The cycle is doing fine!

In the evening, Shri. Sudheer ji had arranged for a small meeting with his friends. They are actually activists working in many organizations. It was great to meet them and share my insights. Actually schools and colleges are having Diwali holidays, so arranging a programme there was not possible. One person also claimed that burning certain things and a specific smoke helps for helping children with mental disabilities. But when I asked him about statistics and research work, he said they just felt that way. Hoping with a wish for improvement in a situation is good, but one needs awareness and understanding of things. Any way.

One of Shri. Sudheerji’s friend took me to  Mallikamba Institute of Mentally Handicapped and associated Disabilities. This organization works with children and adults with many disabilities. The persons in the organization welcomed me and showed me their institute. They have accommodation as well as teaching facilities for the special children. They also have technically trained experts. Founder of the organization is present here and she herself told us that her two boys had serious cognitive disabilities and through her own struggle, she fought and found a way. Later she did Diploma in Special Education and with support from some friends started this institute. Here special education is given to the children with techniques such as speech therapy, physiotherapy and others. During her discussion, she suggested that number children with cognitive disabilities or special children is increasing rapidly. Now their proportion maybe about 3%. Its reason is likely to be late marriage age and conception age and stress levels. There is also low awareness in the society to detect such things early so that treatment could be initiated. She is glad that I am cycling for this cause.



It was an emotional visit. I felt that at least I could visit such people and meet such children. Problems are so grave and aplenty. But we can surely help and initiate a dialogue with them. There are many things which we can do at our places and at our region. We can be aware of their problems, can respect them. We can meet and talk to them. We can help such parents. But for all this, knowing these problems is very vital.

Despite of the small ride, the day has been eventful! 11 out of 18 days are complete, just 7 days are remaining. But they are promising to be memorable. Cloud of uncertainty hovers over coming days. Remote region, damaged roads, forests and naxalite land and unknown conditions are troubling the mind. For some days the clouds came in the mind, the mind became cloudy. But after a while, they passed on their own. Just the thinking got tired. As I remember, once before a full marathon, my mind was very anxious. When the same things were again and again gossiped by the mind, slowly the anxiety went off! After much gossiping, the mind is finally tired and now it is again fresh! After Bhupalpally, it will be jumping into this unknown! I will find it out soon!


Next: Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 13: Warangal to Bhupalpally (73 kms)

(Thanks for reading! You can enjoy the photos on the blog link given above. You can also read about my experiences of trekking, cycling, running, meditation, sky watching etc. there. If you wish to get updates of such activities, you can contact me. Niranjan Welankar 09422108376)

No comments:

Post a Comment

आपने ब्लॉग पढा, इसके लिए बहुत धन्यवाद! अब इसे अपने तक ही सीमित मत रखिए! आपकी टिप्पणि मेरे लिए महत्त्वपूर्ण है!