Monday, August 31, 2026

Checkmate: Maxwell- like thrilling game

Hello. Chess is known to strengthen intellect of the children. It is useful for imagination, thinking, patience and determination. I have had hundreds of chess games with my daughter- Adu. Right from the days when she was too small and after her defeat, she would do an air strike on my King to these days when she occasionally defeats me! We have played at least 300 games. Some games were so memorable! We also had one tie. When she started playing it regularly, she learned the things and the tricks. Now onward it is difficult for me to defeat her. I still recall one unique game. The one which I had almost lost. Its story is this. 


We started off. She was still a new player then. I went on attacking and when I was thinking that soon I would win it, she killed my Queen. I had made a blunder! She played well and defended against my attack. Then her attack started and she captured one of my Rook! Then with 95% probability she was going to win! I also told her, “You have made me down like Australia against Afghanistan, when chasing 301, they were 91/7!”

And I was defeated- almost. But… But later on the unexpected happened. Somehow I managed to defend from her attack. I recovered. Slowly the game progressed. Due to her failure of attacking, she was irritated and she made mistakes. I played with patience. Then my lone player- the Rook got her Queen and one Rook. I had just the King, the Rook and a few pawns! Then her second Rook was also captured. She too had only the King, some pawns and one Bishop. I started to attack with the Rook and the pawns. She tried to defend, but slowly her King was trapped!

And out of nowhere, just due to my perseverance, somehow my Rook and the pawns were about to win it! In the last move, even my Queen could be revived. At the last moment when her King was going to be check- mated, she became angry and she threw it! For some time she felt sad. But after some time, she exclaimed, “Bro! How dramatic this game was! How out of the blue you won!” Then I told her about that Maxwell innings- 201 not out when he won the match. From 91/7, he won it alone. 

We have such interesting games. Now after plenty of games, she plays well. Now my old tricks cannot work. Sometimes due to my old habit, I too much focus on attacking and suddenly she breaks through my defense and checkmates me! But this game teaches a lot. Mainly the capacity to accept defeats. Aptitude to learn. She gets irritated by her mistakes, but she learns also. With regular practice, her mistakes are reducing day by day. I tell her that similar to these hundreds game, with patience and determination, you can master any skill or any task of learning. I also had shared her one incident. Long time back, I had defeated my brother consecutively 16 times. But I also told her, despite the number of defeats, he never lost his temper or got angry. Rather, he was so happy that I was playing so well. Thus, it teaches a lot! Slowly slowly it is getting difficult for me to win! But it is so funny- I am also learning with each game! So it is bound to be exciting!

-Niranjan Welankar 09422108376. Date of writing- 31 August 2026.

 

बुद्धीबळाची गोष्ट: मॅक्सवेलसारखा थरार

नमस्कार. बुद्धीबळ हा खेळ मुलांच्या बुद्धीमत्तेला चालना देण्यासाठी ओळखला जातो. कल्पनाशक्ती, विचार शक्ती, संयम, दृढता ह्या गुणांसाठी तो उपयोगी ठरतो. अदू- माझ्या मुलीसोबत माझे आजवर शेकडो बुद्धीबळाचे डाव झाले आहेत. खूप छोटी होती तेव्हा हरल्यावर रडून माझ्या राजावर हवाई हल्ला करण्यापासून ते आता मला अधून मधून हरवण्यापर्यंत! किमान ३०० डाव आम्ही खेळलो असू.   काही डाव खूप गाजले! एक डाव तर टायसुद्धा झाला. नियमित खेळायला लागल्यावर तिला हळु हळु गोष्टी कळत गेल्या. आता इथून पुढे मला तिच्याविरुद्ध जिंकणं कठीण आहे. एक मात्र खूप वेगळा रंगलेला डाव आठवतो. अगदी मी हरलोच होतो तो डाव. त्याची गोष्ट अशी.

डाव सुरू झाला. तेव्हा ती बरीच नव्याने खेळत होती. त्यामुळे मी आक्रमण करत गेलो आणि जिंकेन असं वाटत असतानाच माझा प्रधान तिने घेतला! मी घोडचूक करून बसलो! तिने चांगला खेळ केला आणि माझा हल्ला परतवला. तिचा हल्ला सुरू झाला आणि नंतर माझा एक हत्तीसुद्धा तिने घेतला! संभाव्यतेमध्ये ९५% ती जिंकणार होती. मी तिला गमतीने बोललो की, "माझी अवस्था तू अफगणिस्तानने ऑस्ट्रेलियाची केली होती तशी ९१/७ अशी केली आहेस- तेही ३०१ चं आव्हान असताना!" 

आणि खरोखर मी हरल्यात जमा होतो. पण... पण पुढे अनपेक्षित झालं. तिचा हल्ला मी कसा बसा रोखून धरला. परतावून लावला. अगदी हळु हळु डाव पुढे सरकत गेला. हल्ला यशस्वी न झाल्यामुळे ती वैतागली आणि तिच्या चुका झाल्या. मी शांत राहून खेळत राहिलो. मग माझ्या एकमेव उरलेल्या खेळाडू हत्तीने मॅक्सवेलसारखी खेळी सुरू केली! मी तिचा प्रधान आणि हत्ती घेतला. माझ्याकडेही फक्त राजा, एक हत्ती आणि प्यादे इतकेच उरले! मग तिचा दुसरा हत्तीही गेला. तिच्याकडे राजा, काही प्यादे व उंट होता. प्यादे आणि हत्तीने आक्रमण सुरू केलं. तिने खूप प्रतिकार केला पण हळु हळु तिचा राजा अडकत चालला! 

कुठूनही शक्यता नसताना केवळ टिकाव धरल्यामुळे हत्ती आणि प्यादे मला जिंकवून द्यायला निघाले. शेवटच्या क्षणी तर माझा प्रधानसुद्धा जीवंत होऊ शकत होता. आता तिचा राजा चेक मेट होणार, तितक्यात तिने चिडून डाव मोडला! थोडा वेळ तिला वाईट वाटलं. पण शांत झाल्यावर मला म्हणाली, "Bro काय डाव झाला! कुठून कुठे डाव गेला. असा कसा काय तू जिंकू शकलास!" मग मी तिला मॅक्सवेलच्या त्या नाबाद २०१ धावांच्या डावाबद्दल सांगितलं. ९१/७ पासून त्याने एकट्याने मॅच जिंकवून दिली होती.   

असे आमचे थरारक डाव होतात. आता इतके डाव खेळल्यावर तिलाही चांगलं खेळता येतंय. माझ्या पूर्वीच्या ट्रिक्स काम करत नाहीत. आणि कधी कधी मी पूर्वीच्या सवयीने हल्ला करण्यात गुंग होतो आणि माझा बचाव भेदून ती अचानक मला चेक मेट करते! पण बुद्धीबळात शिकायला खूप मिळतं. मुख्य म्हणजे पराभव पचवण्याची मानसिकता. शिकत राहण्याची वृत्ती. तिच्या चुकांनी ती वैतागते पण शिकतेसुद्धा. आणि हळु हळु सराव करून करून तिच्या चुका कमी होत आहेत. मी तिला सांगतो की, शंभर डाव खेळण्यासारखी तयारी व सातत्य असेल तर तू कोणतीही गोष्ट शिकू शकतेस. मी तिला एक किस्सा सांगितला होता. खूप पूर्वी मी माझ्या एका भावाला सलग १६ डाव हरवलं होतं. पण तिला हेसुद्धा बोललो की, इतक्या वेळेस हरवूनही तो अजिबात नाराज झाला नाही किंवा चिडला नाही. तर त्याला माझ्या जिंकण्याचा आनंदच होत होता- त्याला आनंदच वाटत होता की, मी किती छान खेळतोय. असं बुद्धीबळातून खूप शिकता येतं! हळु हळु मला जिंकणं कठिण होत जाणार आहे! पण गंमत म्हणजे नेहमी खेळून मीसुद्धा शिकतोय! त्यामुळे मजा तर येणार आहे!

-निरंजन वेलणकर 09422108376. लिहीण्याचा दिनांक- 31 ऑगस्ट 2026. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! Do share with your near ones.