Thursday, November 17, 2022

Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 2: Kudal to Bicholim (72 kms)

2: Kudal to Bicholim (72 kms)

✪ Flag off by Kudal cyclists!
✪ Marvelous nature and rains
✪ Interactions with school and SAHAJ Trust in Banda
✪ My name is Anthony..... Mai Cycle pe akela hun!
✪ Glimpses of Goa!
✪ Interactions with Saint Gadgebaba Old Age home, Shanti Kutir Old Age Home and Rotarians
✪ Legal rights of mental patients
✪ Meeting and dialogue significant

Hello all. Sharing joy of solo cycling in 4 states completed some time ago with you through this article. I had good rest on the night of 23rd September in Kudal. Got up early and was ready for the first day ride! Cyclists of Kudal- Rupesh Teli, Gajanan Kandalgaonkar, Amitji and others came sharply at 6:30 am to see me off. Family members of Dr. Damale also wished me and then I left! In any expedition, first three days are slightly tough. But I am so used to it that I am not feeling much anxiety. Started pedaling in fresh morning times. There is dense fog and visibility is poor! But seeing fog was good as it indicates that rain is away. Had some conversation with the cyclists accompanying me. They accompanied me till 10 kms and left by wishing me well. And also they had given me dry fruit and chikki before that!




(My experiences about trekking, cycling, running, meditation and sky watching etc. can be read on my blog.)

Slowly the Sun started to emerge out of the flog. What a road this is! It is Konkan! Road is slightly plain at the moment. Villages here are quite unique! There are many villages which form surnames of persons. For example, Tendola village is in this region only. And you must be knowing Sachin Tendulkar! Even in Karnataka there are villages which are surnames themselves! For example, there was one village I saw nearby on map. Its name was Telagi! Such fun. Slowly the fog got scattered and it was sunlight all over. Today's distance is very small. Around half way, I am meeting a school and SAHAJ Trust in Banda. Now I am seeing clouds formed at some distance.

Interactions with the school and SAHAJ Trust in Banda

I had got contact number of Meenakshi madam of SAHAJ Trust. This trust works only for mental health. When they came to know that I am cycling for this very cause, they were very happy. They mainly work in Sawantwadi and nearby areas. SAHAJ is a acronym of words which mean Rich and smiling world, their vision. They talk with the people about mental health, conduct workshops on this and work through counseling and self- help groups. Meenakshi madam is working on this issue since many years. Initially her family members opposed her when she took "this" subject for her work. But now her family members support her. Today also in villages persons with autism or slow learners are rejected. SAHAJ Trust talks to them and provide help to them. Meenakshi madam has planned my interactions with one school in Banda. Here students have made posters about mental health! In brief, I informed them about my ride and mission. Talked about physical and mental fitness. Told them importance of playing any sport of one's liking and also having sweat everyday. I answered their questions about my cycling. It was a programme of one hour and then I left Banda.



 

My name is Anthony.... Mai cycle pe akela hun!

As I left Banda, climate is changed. Rain is round the corner. Goa started! First time I am coming to Goa! The highway is super, so I am getting nice speed. Just checked once my turn for Bicholim. While cycling I automatically play songs in my mind. It is almost hidden music device. Enjoying my ride as well as these random songs. Then the rain started to fire. But I did not feel to stop. And even though I stop, it is not certain that the rain would also stop. So I carried on! There are blue portions of sky somewhere. So the rain will cease soon. And soon it stopped. But after some time due to humidity, i started sweating a lot. At one point I saw name Anthony and then my mind- song got changed! My name is Anthony.... song started. Just the line changed to this- Mai cycle pe akela hun!



Goa with coconut trees, hillocks and up- down roads! One climb was very sharp, although. My single- gear cycle climbed it slowly. I could ride it all the way. In the night, I checked this portion and it was a proper climb with 5.5 degree gradient. As I could climb it, I felt I can climb much longer, but more mild 4 degree gradient of Chorla ghat. I also crossed a river reminding me about creek! Oh, this is Goa! Go Goa! This is Bardez region of Goa. Then I continued by asking for the road towards Bicholim. People here understand Marathi, but still they are answering in Hindi. So I also spoke in Hindi. I had to take one break for tea- biscutes and chikki. Then continued towards Bicholim through rural Goa. The road has little up- downs! Enjoying rural Goa and passing through Asnora- Mulgaon- I reached Bicholim. Just before reaching, I met Durgesh ji from Rotary club and then I reached Saint Gadgebaba Old Age home. First day's ride of 72 kms completed smoothly with 4 hours of cycling.

Interactions with Saint Gadgebaba Old Age Home, Shanti Kutir Old age home and Rotarians

I could get in contact with these organizations through Bharat Vikas Sangam network. Dr. Anita Tilwe from Seva Sankalpa, Cancona helped me to connect with Saint Gadgebaba Old Age home. I could visit such an organization working on a different subject with a distinct perspective. Also Dr. Tilwe madam informed Rotary club members about my cycle journey. So I had separate interactions with Rotarians in Shanti Kutir Old age home. In Saint Gadgebaba Old age home, there are other differently abled and also persons with severe diseases. Due to this programme, some new persons also have come to visit the organization. Actually they are very senior persons! But they have come to meet the cyclist from across Goa! In the evening, there was one small programme. The NGO persons talked about their organization. Some Rotarians visiting this organization said that they would help here. One advocate is also present. He informed about legal rights of mental patients. Today there are laws for them. Merely due to their being mentally ill, their name and rights on the property cannot be removed. This act is so powerful that even if neighbours inform about such thing happening, then such encroachment of rights can be prevented. But despite of the act such things happen, he stated. Because the society is not aware. Other relatives, neighbours and such people can help the mental patients for this. This way, there was small but nice interactive dialogue. Dr. Tilawe expressed her thoughts with great articulation. Dr. Ganpule madam stated that this solo cycle journey for mental health would inspire us in future too! Then I could meet some patients personally. The sight of Dr. Tilawe madam talking with grand parents and also one boy with autism with so much of warmth is unforgettable!



 


After that I visited Shanti Kutir Old age home and Adhar hospital. Here mainly elderly patients with severe diseases are kept. The lady in the hospital was informing in detail. Listening her Konkani is a treat. I cannot not understand a few words, but I was getting all meaning and emotions. She is stating that family members themselves bring their old persons here who are severely ill. Sometimes the family members also have some problems. Some patients cannot clean themselves. It is tough to get workers who do this work. There are many difficulties before the organization. But the society also helps for this. For this, this subject, the difficulties and their remedies should be known to the society. That kind of dialogue is needed. Due to this cycling, some new persons came in contact with both the old age homes. Many things happen when we meet one to one and visit in person. I also spoke briefly. It was overwhelming to see such senior people coming from long distance to meet me. 



What a first day it has been! Flag off from Kudal cyclists in the morning, then visit to that school and then interacting with two old age homes and meeting these people! After meeting the students and these organizations, I am feeling happy that I am doing this cycling! As there was no staying arrangements in the old age home, Rotary club members have arranged one lodge for my stay. While I was in Bicholim, Rotarian Shri. Durgesh sir accompanied me well. Even when I was reaching, he was there and he also accompanied me till my lodge. Had a short 2 km ride in the evening. I ate bananas and slept early. My friends from Goa could not come to meet me. But one colleague staying in Bicholim did meet me. What a day! Great! Tomorrow it will be Chorla ghat!


Next: Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 2: Bicholim- Chorla ghat- Belgavvi (88 kms)

(Thanks for reading! You can enjoy the photos on the blog link given above. You can also read about my experiences of trekking, cycling, running, meditation, sky watching etc. There. If you wish to get updates of such activities, you can contact me. Niranjan Welankar 09422108376)

No comments:

Post a Comment

आपने ब्लॉग पढा, इसके लिए बहुत धन्यवाद! अब इसे अपने तक ही सीमित मत रखिए! आपकी टिप्पणि मेरे लिए महत्त्वपूर्ण है!