Monday, November 7, 2022

Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 1: Preface

1: Preface

✪ Gratitude!
✪ Pilgrimage into nature
✪ Preparation and planning
✪ Bharat Vikas Sangam and other organizations
✪ Wonderful sea ride at Vengurla!
✪ Everyone has got this capacity!
✪ Doing, doing, doing- it gets done!
✪ Kudal and Karachi!

Hello all. With an objective of dialogue on mental health awareness, recently I completed around 1450 kms and 18 days solo cycling expedition- Kudal, Maharashtra- Goa- Belgavi- Bagalkote- Kalaburgi- Hyderabad- Warangal- Gadchiroli- Nagpur. It was a wonderful experience. I could meet many local organizations, groups and people. I could also meet students of schools and colleges and could give something positive and joyful to them. It was actually a very unbelievable tour. Almost dreamlike! Hero Radical SLR cycle accompanied me wonderfully. During this long route- nothing- absolutely no problem occurred with the cycle. The nature on the route- people- small villages- tribal places- witnessing all this was witnessing incredible India! Although I was alone on the cycle, even on the road and in villages I was never alone. Many people were always there with me and were helping me. Now I am starting to share my experiences by expressing my gratitude towards everyone who helped me in this- those who helped with technical aspects of cycling, those who helped to connect with organizations, helped for the routes and in many other ways and also I express my gratitude towards nature and life.



 


While writing this, I am having the same feeling which I had when I finished it on the day exactly as per the plan- gratitude! My luck or fate would be very fine so as to give me this incredible experience. Cycling on all this route- up- down roads in Konkan, Chorla ghat between Goa and Belgvi and beautiful nature everywhere, the forests and the massive rivers- all this was nothing less than a nature- pilgrimage. I could just enjoy so much of grace and peace in the nature. I just looted this treasure! After completion of the ride, I shared my experiences at many places. Along with sharing experiences, it was also sharing of this joy in the nature- pilgrimage. Even now by writing this in detail, I am going to share my joy of this nature- pilgrimage with you.







After my interactions with special kids in Nagpur, I had felt the need to do a dialogue on the subject of mental health. Therefore I planned to end this cycle tour in Nagpur. And I chose Sindhudurga district- Kudal- another corner of Maharashtra and then Goa- Karnataka- Telangana- Gadchiroli route. Because I felt that for better mental health, we need to go in the unknown areas. We need to go beyond our comfort zone. We need to be acquainted with unknown things. Symbolically, I chose this less known route. Incidentally at that time I met uncle Shri. Vilasji Deshande ji and Shri. Ashok Tanksale ji. I shared my initial plan with them. Both of them liked it. They told me that in Goa- Karnataka and Telangana, people and organizations related to Bharat Vikas Sangam would help me. This was not merely a cycle tour. It also had to include many interactions wherever it was possible- in organizations, schools, groups and colleges. And later on I could see how relevant these interactions were. Seeing response from the kids, I felt satisfied to give them such exposure.

Accordingly, started to find organizations- activists- friends- relatives on this route. I was also taking my laptop with me and work in the afternoons. I kept my stages of 85- 90 kms daily so that I can cycle from 6:30 am to around 11:00 am or max 12:00 pm and after that I could take some rest and also do my professional work on the laptop. In evenings, I was going to interact with the people. And I had to plan this when rainy season was coming to an end. Because after the monsoon and the rains, I was going to start my sky- watching sessions. Therefore I had only this window when the monsoon was nearing its end. Therefore I planned for starting from Kudal, Sindhudurg in Maharashtra on 24th September and completing it in Nagpur on 11th October. Little bit of rain was expected. I did not have any other window. This idea came to my mind in July and slowly all preparations started.

As I had done many cycling expeditions and also I was ok with my fitness, I did not need a separate preparation. But I had decided to do this particular expedition on the single gear cycle. Because when people see the geared cycle- particularly rural people- their attention goes there only. And today many youth are seen giving excuses that they don’t have this or they don’t have that. I wanted to present this example before them. Therefore I chose this ordinary cycle, the cycle people were familiar with. I was just going to tell them that what I was doing, everyone can do it, you too can do it. Thus I explored and found SLR cycle from Hero Company. I also talked with cyclists who had used such cycles. I heard their experiences and also got their feedback. I also listened to my inner voice. When I realized that such a cycle would be useful later also, I purchased it. Because during rainy season, Merida cycle would get harmed by mud. I can not take my daughter also double seat with that cycle. As the single gear cycle has a proper mud guard and more capacity of carrier, it was useful.

This cycle is made for small distance, while using it for such long distances, its parts need to be checked and also they may need to be replaced, some cyclists told me. Therefore I checked everything. Puncture was going to happen, so I also took trial for that. I knew repairing a puncture, but just checked it for this particular model. As I had done many solo expeditions on Merida cycle, I was acquainted with basic things.





When I started practice rides on the single gear cycle, the experience was very unexpected. I realized that this cycle too goes as fast as geared cycles and also it can climb small inclines and small ghats! I realized- it is more about cycling and the cyclist, than the cycle. My route had small inclines in Konkan  and only one proper ghat between Goa and Belgavi. Remaining road was mostly flat. Therefore apart from this portion, the geared cycle was not needed at all. During the practice rides, I realized that this cycle too has speed and it is so beautiful too! Also I enjoyed double- seat rides with my daughter Adu. One day we actually went as long as 15 kms- double seat. She also liked the cycle. I dropped her to her class and school and we both enjoyed! Also, it was a great relief to get rid of mud while cycling in rains! Some of the rainy rides were awesome.

After riding the new cycle for 15- 20 kms, I rode for 40, 60 and later on also 100 kms! This cycle is great. I could also climb middle range ghats. For 60 km ride, I had traveled to Mutha from Pune. Mutha ghat- two times and later on a ghat after Pirangut with 5% elevation- the cycle could climb smoothly. Then I had 103 km ride- Pune- Ghotawade- Shilimb- Pawanagar- Somatane- Pune. It actually circum-navigated Tikona fort. Even in this ride, apart from extremely stiff 10% inclines, I could pedal on all other inclines. I could also ride on a very unique terrain. The landscape was awesome! Rain, fog and also ghat routes! Ohh! Later I also rode to Pune- Panshet- Velhe- Pabe Ghat- Dhayari. This ride was also a dreamlike ride! It was almost off- road ride, but the cycle had no problem. I realized that its tyres are so strong. Days before departure for this expedition, I had almost ridden this cycle for 950 kms. It was actually wrong. Because the more the tyres are, the less the chances for the puncture are. The tyres should not be spent much beforehand! But when I realized it, it had happened. I also had a few rides with all luggage loaded.




 

I left Pune on 22nd September. I was going to start on 24th September from Kudal. My father’s friend Dr. Suvinay Damale is from Kudal and he happily welcomed me there. During all this preparation, I was experiencing that everything can be done, provided we do it thoroughly. If we keep doing, doing, doing then it ultimately gets done. As I followed my idea and took one step in that direction, I could find the road for next steps. Many travel companies take much ticket for carrying a cycle. But Savantwadi based Sahaj Trust’s Meenakshi madam helped me for this and she connected me with Kelkar travels. When they came to know that this cycling was for social purpose, they allowed me to carry my cycle without any charges. This was just the first instance of experiencing how cycle magically connects with people. I could also realize that many things can happen just by having a dialogue about it! Before leaving, I did not have much anxiety. As I had done solo expeditions in many regions, it was more like a routine for me. I was not feeling that this is something difficult. Because I knew that many people do this. Even an Indian girl has run across all India. Everyone has this capacity. So I was clear that I was not going to do something very different or so.

I passed Gagan Bawda ghat on early morning of 23rd September! My memory just informed me that in some other times, I had driven a car in this ghat. Now I will be facing a similar Chorl ghat. I reached Kudal at 5:30 am. It was madly raining. As the monsoon is about to leave soon, generally rains would not be very high. But as this is Konkan, there are bound to be some sharp spells! Later on after some rest and chitchat with Dr. Damale, I started a warm up ride. I just wanted to ride till I see a blue strip of Arabian sea. Because later on when I would go to Goa, I would take turn from Bicholim and then I would not meet the sea! But what a marvelous climate it is! The rain has just stopped, it is Konkan and peace! Waiting for the sea, I rode on and on and finally entered Vengurla! And then I just went to the seashore! It was not to be seen before this. But when I saw the sea- its vastness, its roar and its greatness! Aha! I just preserved those moments. Seeing such vastness, one naturally gets humbled. For two minutes, it was like a meditation. I was eagerly waiting to meet the sea. What a ride this is! But then I became eager to go back also as I had traveled overnight without sleep and I had rode 22 kms without any food. I had a quick breakfast in Vengural and returned. The rain was there, meeting me in between. Konkan! It was thus a beautiful 45 kms ride!





In the evening, Dr. Damale had planned for meeting students in Kudal highschool. Cyclists from Kudal- Shri. Gajanan Kandalgaonkar and others also were there. As some cyclists were Rotary members, this was a function that was organized by Rotary Club. I could interact with the students for some time. When I asked them to tell names of 5 forts in Sindhudurg district, many could not answer. I told them that for mental fitness, they can study any topic they feel difficult and they can overcome their fear by studying it. For mental fitness, they can have any target of their favourite exercise. Cyclists also shared about their activities in Kudal. Such small programme took place there. Ex- principal of this school is such a young and fit person. It was also interesting to know that this school was established in 1929 in Karachi by Karachi Maharashtriya Shiskan Prasarak Mandal! After the partition and the independence, this organization moved to Kurla in Mumbai and Kudal.

Thus spent 23rd September in Kudal. After the overnight travel, I had actually ridden much more distance in the warm up ride and so felt slightly tired. But the ride was worth it! And later on meeting with the cyclists and the school students was also great. I felt fresh in the evening. Pet cats gave me company there. Dr. Damale also shared his insights about Ayurveda. This expedition will start tomorrow! Tomorrow on the road I will visit one school in Banda and then will halt in Bicholim.



Next part: Cycling in 4 states on single gear cycle 2: Kudal to Bicholim (70 kms)

(Thanks for reading! You can enjoy the photos on the blog link given above. You can also read about my experiences of trekking, cycling, running, meditation, sky watching etc. There. If you wish to get updates of such activities, you can contact me. Niranjan Welankar 09422108376)



6 comments:

  1. Wow that's really good 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. बहुत ही मनमोहक प्रस्तुति
    हार्दिक शुभकामनाएं!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent, keep up the great motivational activities

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspirational journey you had sir...Waiting for the next part.

    ReplyDelete

आपने ब्लॉग पढा, इसके लिए बहुत धन्यवाद! अब इसे अपने तक ही सीमित मत रखिए! आपकी टिप्पणि मेरे लिए महत्त्वपूर्ण है!